With the update to Announcements 7.5.0, we have introduced a new island called the Announcement Feed island.
One of our more popular custom applications is the News Feed island, which acts kind of like an announcements island, but all posts are specific to the island. The big draw to the News Feed is it does not look like the Announcements island with its table and big filter area. It's a simple no-nonsense display of announcements.
Here is what the current Announcement island looks like:
There is a large filter area at the top, and the announcements are in a table. This is great and functional, but it doesn't fit everyone's aesthetic.
Introducing the new Announcement Feed island:
The Announcement feed island consists of a few parts:
- A header row with the name of the island.
- The announcements, sorted by newest to oldest
- A read more section at the bottom right to see older announcements.
This island is meant to work with narrower structures. The main Announcements island doesn't look the best on 3-4 column structures with narrow widths, but the Feed island will look much better. The look and feel of the island is customizable. The body is transparent so an island background color can be added. Let's take a look at the action item for the island to see what can be done to the main view.
(These two are above each other. For presentation purposes, they are shown here side-by-side.)
The following options are available:
- Header Name. This is by default Announcements Feed, but can be changed per island.
- Background color of the Header. This is by default transparent. It can be set to any color.
- Color of the divider lines. By default, these are green. They can be changed to any other color.
- Whether to show the body on the island. Unlike the Announcements island, this is all or nothing. The entire body will show on the island if you check the box.
- The number of Announcements to show on the island by default. This is 5 to start. Anything over that number will be on the island but hidden by a Show More link in the lower right. This link can be clicked to expand the island to show the rest. It will then be replaced by a Hide option which will return the island to normal.
Clicking on Read More... will bring up the entire history of announcements for the workgroup.
This does have filter options so you can search for dates and keywords.
Clicking on Read More or on any announcement in the Feed island will take you to the Announcement just as it would display on the Announcements island. If there is acknowledgement, you will see it at that time.
There are a few things this island does not do:
- You cannot add announcements from this island.
- You cannot edit or delete announcements from this island.
- You cannot filter from the main view of the island.
- You cannot see acknowledgement statuses on this island.
- For those familiar with the News Feed, the images that would appear before announcements are not yet implemented.
The first and last of these are up in the air for improvements to the island. If you have an interest in seeing those being made available, contact your CSM for a feature request.