This article is a guide on how to install Learning Management from Expressway and migrate your existing recognition information over to the new application.
We highly recommend that you contact Passageways Technical Support for assistance in installing Learning Management 6.1 from Expressway if LMS is currently in use within your portal.
Installations of Learning Management in the past have been done manually. These have traditionally been installed to the folder Modules\LearningManagement and have a database named Prefix_CS_LMS. The names may also be CS_LearningManagement or a variation thereof.
The Expressway installation will have the Module name as LearningManagementSystem and the database named Prefix_LearningManagement. This will prevent it from overwriting any existing installation of LMS currently existing on a portal before migration can be completed.
First things first, because the report islands are going away, you'll want to run the following script on the portal framework database to find out where these islands exist in your portal:
SELECT dbo.PWWorkGroups.WorkGroupName, dbo.PWViews.Alias, dbo.PWPages.DisplayText AS PageName, dbo.PWPageIslands.DisplayText AS Islandtitle, dbo.PWPageIslands.IslandID
FROM dbo.PWPageIslands INNER JOIN
dbo.PWPages ON dbo.PWPageIslands.PageID = dbo.PWPages.PageID LEFT JOIN
dbo.PWWorkGroups ON dbo.PWPages.ViewID = dbo.PWWorkGroups.ViewID INNER JOIN dbo.PWViews on PWViews.ViewID = PWPages.ViewID
WHERE (dbo.PWPageIslands.IslandID = 'Report')
OR (dbo.PWPageIslands.IslandID = 'UserReport')
OR (dbo.PWPageIslands.IslandID = 'TrainingProgramReport')
OR (dbo.PWPageIslands.IslandID = 'CourseReport')
OR (dbo.PWPageIslands.IslandID = 'TotalHoursReport')
OR (dbo.PWPageIslands.IslandID = 'TestReport')
OR (dbo.PWPageIslands.IslandID = 'AdminReport')
These pages may need to be modified due to not having the report islands anymore.
1. Run Expressway
2. Select to install Learning Management on the portal entitlement.
3. Let the install run. This will get Learning Management onto the portal.
4. The next step is to migrate data over from the existing installation to the new installation. The attached file has scripts to move the data over. Replace the names of the databases as shown at the top of the file if they are named differently. There are three databases to change: the new Learning Management, the old Learning Management, and the current portal framework.
4a. Run the scripts to perform the update. Make sure you are using the correct Learning Management databases as specified at the top of the script file. Look at the existing module.configs or under Module Tools -> Learning Management -> About Module if there is any confusion.
Check for any errors in the SQL database when running the scripts. They will appear in red under the Messages tab. If any errors are received, please contact Passageways Consulting to resolve them.
5. Learning Management uploaded files are stored on the web server in the installation folder. On the web server, navigate to Modules\LearningManagement\ and look for the folder named Attachments and UploadedImages. Copy these folder.
5a. On the web server, navigate to Modules\LearningManagementSystem\ and paste the folder into here. Overwrite everything that comes up.
6. Open the old Module.config file in Modules\CS_LearningManagement and the new Module.config in Modules\LearningManagementSystem
6a. Copy over values for LMSAdmin, ShowNoOfYears, EnableLMSAdminEmails, UseProfileForBranchAndDept, BranchProfileFieldName, DepartmentProfileFieldName, and PositionProfileFieldName from the old config to the new config. Basically everything except ConnectionString and AttachmentsPath.
6b. Save the new config file.
7. After the scripts are run successfully, backup the old CS_LMS database. The database can then be deleted from the SQL server. Also zip up the folder for LearningManagement, and then delete the LearningManagement folder from the modules folder on the web server.
It is important to remove the LearningManagement folder from the Modules folder. If it is left in there with the Learning Management System installation, going to alert settings will throw an error as they share Alert setting names.
See this article for the error referenced above.
To recap the process:
1-3. Install LMS through Expressway
4. Run the SQL scripts to migrate data from old to new LMS.
5. Migrate the images and SCORM courses over to the new LMS.
6. Migrate configration.