This article is a guide on how to install Employee Recognition from Expressway and migrate your existing recognition information over to the new application.
Important: If your User Recognition Island does not look similar to this image:
then you have an older version of Employee Recognition that likely contains 4-5 islands. You will need to contact Passageways Technical Support to have your migration completed differently if you wish to migrate.
We highly recommend that you contact Passageways Technical Support for assistance in installing Employee Recognition 6.1 from Expressway if Employee Recognition is currently in use within your portal.
Installations of Employee Recognition in the past have been done manually. These have traditionally been installed to the folder Modules\CS_EmployeeRecognition and have a database named Prefix_CS_EmployeeRecognition. The names may also be CS_EmpRec or CS_EmployeeRec, or a variation thereof.
The Expressway installation will have the Module name as EmployeeRecognition and the database named Prefix_EmployeeRecognition. This will prevent it from overwriting any existing installation of Employee Recognition currently existing on a portal before migration can be completed.
1. Run Expressway
2. Select to install Employee Recognition on the portal entitlement.
3. Let the install run. This will get Employee Recognition onto the portal.
4. The next step is to migrate data over from the existing installation to the new installation. The attached file has scripts to move the data over. Find/replace the names of the databases as shown at the top of the file if they are named differently. There are three databases to change: the new employee recognition, the old employee recognition, and the current portal framework.
4a. Run the scripts to perform the update. Make sure you are using the correct Employee Recognition databases as specified at the top of the script file. Look at the existing module.configs or under Module Tools -> Employee Recognition -> About Module if there is any confusion.
Check for any errors in the SQL database when running the scripts. They will appear in red under the Messages tab. If any errors are received, please contact Passageways Consulting to resolve them.
5. Employee Recognition images are stored on the web server in the installation folder. On the web server, navigate to Modules\CS_EmployeeRecognition\ and look for the folder named Itemimages. Copy this folder.
5a. On the web server, navigate to Modules\EmployeeRecognition\ and paste the folder into here. Overwrite everything that comes up.
6. Verify after migration that the Employee Recognition User island is showing the recognition images to select. If the images show up as placeholders, make sure step 5 was followed correctly.
7. Backup the old CS_EmployeeRecognition database. The database can then be deleted from the SQL server at your discretion.
7a. Navigate to the Modules folder. Zip up the folder for CS_EmployeeRecognition, and then delete the CS_EmployeeRecognition folder from the modules folder on the web server.
7b. Navigate to the bin folder. Delete the file Passageways.Consulting.Applications.EmployeeRecognition.dll.
It is important to remove the CS_EmployeeRecognition folder from the Modules folder. If it is left in there with the Employee Recognition installation, going to alert settings will throw an error as they share Alert setting names.
See this article for the error referenced above.
To recap the process:
1-3. Install Employee Recognition through Expressway.
4. Run the SQL scripts to migrate data from old to new Employee Recognition.
5. Migrate the images for the recognitions over to the new Employee Recognition.
6. Make sure the images are working.
7. Cleanup of the old Employee Recognition.