This is a guide on how to update or create custom layouts from within the portal on Framework 6.1+ without needing server access.
1. First, we need to download an existing layout. Navigate to Portal Tools -> Manage Portal Framework -> Layouts Manager.
2. Next, locate the layout you want to modify. Click the Export button next to the layout you want to work with. For example, if I'm wanting to update the Valentine Portal Content Sidebar, I'd click here:
3. Go to where the downloaded zip file is, right-click it, and select Extract Files. Select where to extract them to, and check the box for Show extracted files when complete. Click Extract.
4. Make any changes as necessary to the images, or the ascx files which define the layout you are changing. Other support center articles can assist with these changes.
5. If you are wanting to set this up as a new item, we'll have to make one more change:
5a. Open the layout.config file in the folder:
5b. Change the first two red box items. The name is what will show in the portal as the name of the layout. The id needs to be a unique value compared to other layouts of that type.
5c. Change the path name where the red box is to a unique name.
5d. Save the file.
5e. Rename the folder to match what you named the red box in 5c.
6. Zip the folder that the previous zip was extracted to. You can right-click on the folder, and select Send To -> Compressed (zipped) folder
7. Navigate in the portal back to Portal Tools -> Manage Portal Framework -> Layouts Manager.
8. Click on Import Layout at the top of the page.
9. Click on Choose File. Navigate to the zip file we just created in step 6. If you are overwriting an existing layout, check the box for Overwrite if exists.
10. If this is a new layout you are uploading, you will want to assign it to yourself through Assign Layouts to check to see if it works properly.