When a Passageways portal is installed, the default is to have the databases in Full Recovery mode. This means that transaction logs for the entire database are stored in the log files. Generally, log files are small, but for some of our more used and accessed databases, such as PortalFx, Documents, Expense Reports, and HelpDesk.
If the database sits for a long enough time, the Log files can get pretty large. If full backups are taken, these generally include the log files, so backups can be large, but having a full backup means you don't need the transaction logs to get the data back.
Here's how to reduce the size of the Log Files:
1. Log into SQL
2. Right-click on the database and select Properties.
3. Click on Files to check the current size.
The current size of the Log file is shown in the row with File Type "Log" under the Initial Size (MB) column.
4. Click on Options.
5. Where it says Recovery model: Full, in the dropdown, change it to Simple.
6. Click OK at the bottom right to save.
7. Right-Click and select properties again.
8. Click in the Initial Size (MB) column and Log row, and change the value from whatever it currently is (147 in this example) to 10.
9. Click on Options on the left.
10. Change the Recovery Type in the 2nd image above back to Full.
11. Click OK in the lower right.
After doing this, you should see an instant change in the free space on the drive containing the log files.
We recommend doing this periodically in order to clear out space in the log files, especially if the server tends to run out of or low on space often.