Before Proceeding to Upgrade with Expressway
1. Run all Windows Updates and make sure the server has been restarted.
2. Review Portal Framework 5.0.3 Release Information for enhancements and bug fixes.
3. Review the FAQs about this release.
4. Review this article if custom themes are being used in your Portal and you are updating from 4.12.4.
4a. Make copies of the 'Default' & 'Portal4' themes.
4b. Make sure if you're using custom themes, that the CSS file is named the same as the custom theme.
5. Alert users that the portal will be inaccessible when applying the framework update. In most instances, the portal is still accessible when updates are being applied but they may experience intermittent latency or errors that are resolved upon refreshing the browser. Alerting the users prior to the updates will assist in keeping your internal help desks from being cluttered with portal issues, especially if the Framework update requires a server reboot.
Installing or Updating to PFW 5.0.3 using Expressway
1. Log on to the application server using the Portal's identity account (domain user, local admin on server) or another server administrator account.
2. Run Internet Explorer as an administrator (right click on Internet Explorer from Start Menu > Run as administrator).
3. Log into the Expressway Installer Website from the server. Make sure Microsoft Internet Explorer's Enhanced Security Configuration is not enabled.
4. Click on the "Run Expressway" link and follow the prompts. If you are unsure of how to proceed, please review the Expressway Installation Guide, which can assist you in installing/updating your portal or contact Technical Support for assistance (email@example.com or 765-535-1880 opt.1).
NOTE: If updating or installing on Server 2012, you may need to save the setup.exe to the desktop of the server, right click and select "Run as Administrator".
5. If this is a new installation, dialogues will appear to assist in gathering information about your server. This information will be saved for future Expressway runs.
6. You will be presented with a list of your portal(s) to select, as well as select individual modules for updates. Select the check box to the left of the portal you wish you install/update. If you click on the status "Ready to Install" or "Ready to Update" link, you can view the available updates.
7. After clicking next, your installation will verify the portal files and SQL tables. If your installation does not pass file or SQL validation, please contact Technical Support!
7a. Clicking next one additional time will begin the upgrade.
7b. Complete the wizard and your portal upgrade will be complete.
***If the update fails at any point and rolls back, please contact Technical Support by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 765-535-1880 opt1.
1. The following text should be added to every theme's CSS file for visualizations
2. If you would like users who are not workgroup members to have URL access to the page, add the following code to the web.config in the settings tags. Take a backup of the file first. Incorrect changes to the web.config file can take down the portal.
2a. To Allow workgroup URL Access:
2b. To Dis-Allow Access:
Change the above from "true" to "false"
The full code should look something like the following (will vary on a portal to portal basis depending on settings)
<settings applicationRoot="http://PortalURL/" allowAllUsersToViewAllPages="false" organizationName="PASSAGEWAYS" administratorEmail="email@example.com" editionName="Organizations" fileCabinetContentPath="C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Passageways\FileCabinetContent">
<add name="Default" />
<add name="Portal4" />
1. Verify Alert Preferences are set appropriately.
2. Verify custom themes are displaying properly. Reference this article for more information as to changes that need to be made.
3. If you use a custom navigation node to display Products & Services, the node image will need updated. Browse to Drive:\inetpub\wwwroot\Production Portal\customnavigationnodes.config and update the icon image to be 'productnavigation.png'. Refresh the portal browser and you should see the updated icon.
4. If you use the Activity Feed island, post a status, a comment on someone's wall, or commit an action that would post to the feed so that the feed shows after updating to 5.0.3.
Please contact Tech Support if the islands do not display properly after updating.