How to Edit Database Documents:
Step 1: Select the dropdown on the chosen document and choose “Check Out”.
- Checking out the document allows the portal to capture the history and versioning of each document and the change(s) that was made.
- Checking out the document also tells other portal users that the document is in edit mode.
Once checked out you will see the following note:
Step 2: Click on the document or select “open” in the document dropdown to open the document.
Step 3: Edit the document.
Step 4: Click Save and close the document.
Step 5: Select the dropdown on the chosen document and choose “Check In”.
Step 6: Add any comments you wish to the Comments section.
- You can also choose another file to upload in order to replace the document. This is typically only used for .PDF* replacement.
- NOTE: If you choose to re-upload the document, there will be a confirmation that you want to overwrite the existing document. ** WARNING** This will break all links to the document in the Portal. Choosing a file from the screen below will not break any links to the document.
Step 7: Click OK
Other Database document functionality:
- History: By clicking the History option you can see previous versions, comments, and when and who updated the document
- Comments: Allows staff to post comments on a document for the writer to see
- General Tab: Can edit the name of the document, access the URL, and see basic information regarding the document
- Security Tab: Writers can edit the individual security of the document and change permissions
- Subscription Tab: Users can choose to be notified when documents change or get removed
*Additional Note Regarding Editing .PDF Documents
If you are having challenges with how .PDF Documents open when you're trying to edit them, check out this Dear CSM Article for more information on why that is happening.