This article describes how to setup a Group Policy for network users. The group policy will run a script file when the computer is rebooted or a user logs on which will install the new Enterprise Instant Messenger client.
Updated for Server 2016:
- Create a file share that can be accessed by all workstations
- Create a .bat file containing the following:
IF EXIST "C:\Program Files (x86)\Passageways\Enterprise Instant Messenger\Client\pweimclient.exe" goto _End
msiexec /i "\\web\deploy\pweimclient.msi" EIM_INPUT_PORTALURL="http://davidw3" /passive
- NOTE! In your .bat file
- Change http://davidw3 to the address of your portal
- Change \\web\deploy\ to the path of the file share you created in step 1
- Save your .bat file in the file share you created in step 1
- In my example I will name it logon.bat
- Save pweimclient.msi in the file share you created in step 1
- You can find pweimclient.msi in
\inetpub\wwwroot\your portal name\Modules\InstantMessenger
- Open group policy
- Right click Group Policy Objects
- Select New
- Name your new Policy
- In my example I will name it EIM Deploy
- Right click your new policy
- Select Edit
- Under Computer Configuration expand Policies
- Expand Windows Settings
- Select Scripts
- Open Startup
- Click Add
- Click Browse
- Find your share you created in step 1 and select your .bat file
- In my example below, I selected logon.bat
- Assign Your new policy to whatever Organization Group (OU) you would like to deploy EIM to
This deployment will deploy whenever the computer is rebooted and only if the program isn’t installed. If you would like it to deploy when a user logs in, you would choose “User Configuration” in step 6.6 instead of “Computer Configuration”. We have found that Computer Configuration is more consistent.
Configuring the Batch
- Browse out to C: \Program Files\Passageways\Enterprise Instant Messenger\
- Copy Logon.bat and pweimclient.msi to a shared drive.
- Right click on Logon.bat select Edit. (Edit everything in Bold)
- msiexec /i "\\file server\mysharedfolder\pweimclient_126.96.36.199.msi" INSTALLLOCATION="%PROGRAMFILES%\Passageways\Enterprise Instant Messenger" ALLUSERS="" EIM_INPUT_PORTALURL="http://PortalURL" /qn
Setting a Group Policy
- Go the Start menu, Programs then Administrative Tools, and then click Active Directory Users and Computers.
- In the console tree, right-click the domain or organizational unit for which you want to set the Group Policy.
- Click Properties, and then click the Group Policy tab.
- Click New and name the new group policy EIMClientDeployment.
- Select the EIMClientDeployment group policy that you just created and Click Edit.
- In the Navigation Tree select Computer Configuration or User Configuration, open Software Settings.
Computer Configuration: Requires each computer on the network to be rebooted for the group policy to take place.
User Configuration: Requires the user to sign on to the computer for the group policy to take place.
- Right-click the Software Installation node, and then click Properties.
- In the Software Installation Properties dialog box, click the General tab, and then browse to the location of Login.bat. Select the Login.bat.
- In the New Packages section, select Publish.
- NOTE: This specifies that when you add the MSI, by default you want it published with standard package properties.
- In the Installation User Interface Options group box and select Basic.
- Click OK
NOTE: The end result is that when the computer is rebooted or when a user logs off, then logs back in, the new Enterprise Instant Messenger will be installed in the background without the user knowing. The Group Policy will run every time a computer is rebooted or when a user signs in until the group policy is removed.