Portal Server Migration Steps
***If you are only migrating to a new application server, and the database server remains the same, you can skip steps 5-10, 13.***
1. Prepare the new server for Portal installation
2. FULLY update the portal on the current server through Expressway. This step is critical as the portal must be completely up to date before moving forward.
3. Contact Passageways Technical Support Team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 765-535-1880 and have them clear out your entitlement. This step will allow you to install a new portal on a different server than the portal was previously installed or updated on.
4. Install a new portal on the new server - Expressway Installation Guide
--SQL Server Section
5. Backup all Passageways databases from the old SQL Server. You can use the script in this article to back up all the databases at once.
6. Delete the newly created Production_Portal_DBName databases on the new SQL Server.
7. Restore the database backups to the new SQL Server.
8. For each database, in the Security -> Users folder for the database, delete any user who is not dbo, guest, INFORMATION_SCHEMA, or sys.
9. Go to the Server's Security -> Logins folder and locate the passageways portal user. Right-click and select Properties
10. On the User Mapping tab, for each database you restored, click the checkbox in the Map column to map the user to the database and then click db_owner at the bottom to make the user the owner. Click OK when complete.
--End SQL Server Section
11. Copy the Passageways folder from the old server. (Usually located at c:\inetpub\wwwroot\[Passageways/Name of Entitlement])
12. Paste the Passageways folder to the new server. (In the folder c:\inetpub\wwwroot\)
13. Change the SQL server and database names in the connection strings in all of the following locations:
a. Web.config (c:\inetpub\wwwroot\[Passageways/Name of Entitlement])
i. Portal Connection String
ii. Documents Connection String
b. Module configs (some modules may not apply to customers) (c:\inetpub\wwwroot\[Passageways/Name of Entitlement]\Modules\[Module]\)
ii. Assigned Tasks
vi. Expense Reports
vii. Form Builder
viii. Help Desk
ix. Meeting Packets
xii. Products and Services
xiii. Read Receipt
xvi. Vendor Management
c. Consulting Applications Configs (c:\inetpub\wwwroot\[Passageways/Name of Entitlement]\Modules\[Module]\)
ii. Apparel Cart
iii. Blog Featured
iv. Employee Recognition
v. In- Out Board
vii. Knowledge Management
viii. Learning Management
ix. Lobby Management
x. Purchase Order
xi. Supply Order
xii. Test Taker
d. EIM (c:\program files\Passageways\Enterprise Instant Messenger\Server\)
14. If the Copy and Paste locations are not the same exact path on the server, you will need to change the folder paths in the module config files. For example, older portals would be installed using ‘Passageways’ while portals installed using Expressway would be installed with ‘Production Portal’, ‘Test Portal’, or ‘Board Portal’.
i. Announcements- Attachments
ii. Assigned Tasks- Attachments
iii. Auctions- UploadedDocuments
iv. Expense Reports- Receipts or ReceiptAttachments
v. Form Builder- FormImages and UploadedForms
vi. Help Desk- Attachments
vii. Meeting Packets- Attachments, UploadedImages, PublishedPacketFiles, UploadedImages
viii. Products and Services- Documents
ix. Read Receipt- UploadedDocuments
x. Reservations- ObjectImages
xi. Standard- EmailAttachments
xii. Vendor Management- VendorLogos, UploadedFiles
xiii. Consulting applications denoted by ‘_PS’
15. Open IIS on the new server.
16. In the Sites section, locate the portal that was just installed and click it.
17. Click the Basic Settings... link that appears on the right side under Actions.
18. Change the Physical Path to the location you pasted to in step 12 and click OK.
19. If a binding is in use, the DNS entry will need to be updated to reflect the new server IP. A DNS flush may be necessary.
20. Stop the website in IIS on the old server.
21. Make sure the new portal site is up and running.
22. On the old server, uninstall the Passageways Programs from Add Remove Programs or from Programs and Features.
23. Delete the old databases from the old SQL server.
24. Delete the old Passageways folder from the old SQL server.
25. Change the folder in the RAP settings file if the website folder is called Passageways. The newly installed folder will be named 'Production Portal' and when applying updates after install, this folder will be updated instead of the 'Passageways' folder where the website is pointing. The RAP settings location varies depending on server version. Below are the possible paths to follow:
Drive:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Passageways\RAP\GUID.settings
26. Also check that mapped or document list folder paths have not been moved and use this article to change the paths from the old server to the new. This should also be done if performing a Sandbox data refresh with Production data so that the URLs point to the correct portal.