Portal Framework v4.9.0
Discover what's included in this release!
Purpose of Release
There are a ton of under the hood tweaks in this release as well that will serve as significant quality of life improvements for modules and the framework in the future. We have also fixed a large number of bugs.
Read on to learn more!
- Browser Compatibility
o Tested for compatibility with the following browsers
- Chrome v16
- Firefox v9
- Safari v18.104.22.168
- IE 7, 8 and 9
o The following locations have changes made specifically for multi-browser compatibility. There may be no visible difference in Internet Explorer for these changes.
- Toolbar buttons no longer display full black color
- The navigation frame has been modified to be friendlier with how each browser displays navigation
- Portal banner no longer displays just the background color
- Buttons throughout portal should now display a mouse pointer that makes sense
- Island containers no longer display broken.
- Add Island Page updated to display consistently between browsers
- Selection list updated to display consistently between browsers
- Alert pop-up box has been reworked to display in all browsers
- Island page has been reworked so that moving and removing islands works.
- Help and search panels have been modified to “pop” in all browsers.
- List island configuration has been modified to be consistent between browsers.
- Moved the expand/collapse feature to the left side of the navigation.
- Updated visual components of the portal navigation.Highlighting has been added. The right click menu has been made more succinct. Animations have been smoothed.
- Portal Tabs (both tabbed island and where tabs are used elsewhere in the portal) have been updated visually.They will now occupy multiple lines instead of extending the width of the screen.
- The Portal Framework no longer uses a persistent cookie and will utilize the websites session timeout property.In addition to this change, a user’s session state is no longer persisted indefinitely without user interaction and users can expect to have the portal time out properly. Finally when using forms authentication the portal will use the standard Passageways cookie instead of using a persisted cookie.
- A new API has been implemented that allows modules to take advantage of document repository like features separate from the portals document repository.
- All portal web services have been upgraded to be compatible with REST and JSON.
- Upgraded Layouts Manager to use PortalTabContainer
- Workgroups should now load even if no workgroup manager is assigned.It is now impossible to not assign a workgroup manager.
- Pasting content using the paste button in Portal Text Editor no longer pastes content twice.
- Deactivated users and their actions no longer appear in Activity Feed even if the action performed would generally display on the Activity Feed (i.e. someone being removed from the portal the day after they create a page).
- It is once again possible to insert an image into a portal text editor using the URL option.
- If two users incidentally share a login name, the portal will no longer cease to function.
- Changing field privacy settings now force the display throughout the portal.This includes search.
- If a log file location is not identified in the webdav web.config portal documents will no longer display a critical error.
- Performing actions on a page with the Outlook Module island “Calendar” will no longer cause the portal to crash.
- If a single user has an invalid birth date (i.e. month and day are reversed), other users birthdays will continue to show properly.
- When linking to a Portal Document in the Portal Text Editor, commas in either the document name or any folder name should no longer prevent the link from working properly.
- If a Portal Framework Report returns more than 5000 results, it should no longer be impossible to switch to page 2.
- Resolved an issue with updating search source permissions that caused search sources to become corrupted.
- After creating a workgroup, clicking the activate workgroup button no longer throws a server error.
- The PortalDateTimePicker web control now can be properly utilized on islands and in .NET panels.
The following features are available only in IE
- Live Editing [Note:There may be ways of enabling ActiveX for other browsers, however Passageways does not directly support any of these methods nor is liable. Use at your own risk.]
- Copy button in Portal Text Editors.Only Internet Explorer has direct access to the operating system clipboard. CTRL+V must be used in other browsers and a message is delivered indicating this.
The following features require additional setup
- Integrated authentication on Firefox browsers
- Pop-up alerts on Firefox, Chrome and Safari
- Integrated authentication on Apple Desktop PC’s
Important information to know about this release
- Automatic user creation is now enabled only when both FirstName and LastName use the Active Directory User Profile Provider.
- Due to the portal no longer utilizing a persistent cookie, an additional authentication with Microsoft Office backend processor is required when attempting to live edit a document using forms authentication.
- HTTP Caching has been implemented for user pictures and portal text editor utilizing the upgraded web services.This should provide an improvement in load times of pages with a large number of user pictures and portal text editors with a lot of images.
- The Portal Navigation frame has been made fixed width
- Island containers display properly in IE 8 and 9 without compatibility view enabled.
- The “follow” button has been removed from the toolbar when editing another user’s profile.
- Updated the “About Module” page under a Module Tool to utilize the Portal Tab Container.
- Removed the version and CLSID fields from the General tab of “About Module” pages.
- Removed the “version number” column from the Installed Module section of the Passageways System Summary Report.
- The “version number” column in the Installed Assemblies section of the System Summary report now shows accurately the version and “build number” of the product installed by Expressway.
Known Issues in Portal Framework 4.9
- Portal Grid Drop Down menus display erratically in Chrome, Firefox and Safari
- When adding islands to a page, the count may not increase past one when using Chrome, Firefox and Safari.Each click still adds the island to the page however the numerical indicator may not indicate as such. When you re-enter the add island form, the correct number will display.
- When arranging islands on an island page, no animations are displayed in Firefox, Safari and Chrome.
- When arranging islands on an island page, movement may appear erratic in Firefox, Safari and Chrome.
- When arranging islands on an island page, islands cannot be placed between other islands in Firefox, Safari, Chrome and IE 8 and 9 not in compatibility mode.
- When selecting the Layouts Manager page from Manage Portal Framework, a default tab is not selected.This issue appears in Firefox, Safari, Chrome and all versions of IE.
- Page Buttons may occasionally appear with larger than normal text in Firefox, Safari and Chrome.
- When attempting to preview a Portal Text Editor using the preview feature in edit mode, the preview will always show as “Content Expired” in Firefox, Safari and Chrome.
- It is not currently possible to lock a document in the Portal Documents explorer.The menu will always show “Unlock”. This bug appears in all browsers.
- When deleting a user who is the workgroup manager of a group you are presented with a form to reassign the workgroup manager.If you submit this form without selecting a new user will result in a server error.
- When arranging islands with multiple sections or columns, the location boxes are not visible in Firefox, Safari and Chrome.
- After updating to 4.9, the 'Submitted Forms', 'Distributions', 'Individual Results', and 'Aggregate Results' tabs on the My Forms island are not visible. There is a simple workaround that can be applied to resolve this issue. Please contact Passageways Technical Support at 765-497-8815 opt. 1 and we can assist in this matter.