Before Proceeding to Upgrade with Expressway
1. Run all Windows Updates and make sure the server has been restarted.
2. Review Portal Framework v4.12.0 Release Information for enhancements and bug fixes.
3. Alert users that the portal will be inaccessible when applying the framework update. In most instances, the portal is still accessible when updates are being applied but they may experience intermittent latency or errors that are resolved upon refreshing the browser. Normally the portal will only be down for 15-20 seconds. Alerting the users prior to the updates will assist in keeping your internal help desks from being cluttered with portal issues, especially if the Framework update requires a server reboot.
4. Take a backup of the PWTools.config file. This file can be found here- Drive:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Production Portal\Tools\PWTools.config
**Failure to take a backup of this file will result in the loss of specifically granted portal tools. Users in the Portal Administrator role will continue to have administrator permissions.
5. Take a backup of the ApplicationHost.config file. Located here- Drive:\windows\system32\inetsrv\config\ApplicationHost.config
IF YOU HAVE COMPLETED A SERVER MOVE, CHANGED PORTAL AUTHENTICATION, OR CHANGED URLs, EVEN WITH PASSAGEWAYS HELP, CONTACT TECHNICAL SUPPORT TO ASSIST IN YOUR UPDATE!!
Installing or Updating to PFW v4.12 using Expressway
1. Log on to the application server using the Portal's identity account (domain user, local admin on server) or another server administrator account.
2. Run Internet Explorer as an administrator (right click on Internet Explorer from Start Menu > Run as administrator).
3. Log into the My Software Website from the server- https://mysoftware.passageways.com
4. Click on the "Run Expressway" link and follow the prompts. If you are unsure of how to proceed, please review the Expressway Installation Guide, which can assist you in installing/updating your portal or contact Technical Support for assistance (firstname.lastname@example.org or 765-535-1880 opt.1).
NOTE: If updating or installing on Server 2012, you may need to save the setup.exe to the desktop of the server, right click and select "Run as Administrator".
5. If this is a new installation, dialogues will appear to assist in gathering information about your server. This information will be saved for future Expressway runs.
6. You will be presented with a list of your portal(s) to select, as well as select individual modules for updates. Select the check box to the left of the portal you wish you install/update. If you click on the status "Ready to Install" or "Ready to Update" link, you can view the available updates.
7. After clicking next, your installation will verify the portal files and SQL tables. If your installation does not pass file or SQL validation, please contact Technical Support!
7a. Clicking next one additional time will begin the upgrade.
7b. Complete the wizard and your portal upgrade will be complete.
***If the update fails at any point and rolls back, please contact Technical Support by emailing email@example.com or calling 765-535-1880 opt1.
NOTE: Sometimes after applying a Framework update, the installer will display a message asking to restart the server now or later to apply the updates. Selecting either option will restart the server!! Kill the process in order to bypass the server restart. The installer may also show a status that the updates rolled back and were not applied. You can verify if the updates were applied by re-running Expressway and checking the available updates.
Post Update Checklist
1. Verify links are working.
2. Open documents
2a. If you use the Live Edit feature, verify this is working properly.
3. Schedule a Workgroup Usage Report to alert you daily. Receiving this alert verifies the Passageways Portal Agent service is not in a faulted state. Alerts will not be received if the Portal Agent is in a faulted state. Restart the service from the Passageways application server and contact Passageways Technical Support if alerts are not triggering.
4. Verify tool access:
If a non portal administrator user had been given Portal Tools access, those permissions will need to be reset.
5. If you receive an error trying to get in to the portal after applying the updates, verify the bindings are set correctly in IIS. You can also restore the ApplicationHost.config backup, if one was taken before the updates were applied.